Friday, April 8, 2011

Fresh Voice Marc Nash!

A, B & EWelcome to the latest edition of Fresh Voices. We are delighted to share with you the voice of Marc Nash!

What is your ultimate writing goal?
To leave a body of work that survives well beyond me to make a contribution to the pool of human art and knowledge.

Why do you write?
Because I believe I have something to say and a reasonably interesting way of saying it. It also helps me probe the wonders and the frustrations of the world.

Have you worked to achieve your voice or is it just a natural style for you?
I would like to think my voice doesn't matter nearly as much as that of the character in whatever book I'm writing. But I'm told I have a recognisable style, that marks a project as 'my' book, so I guess I do have a consistency of writing voice. It's both natural and comes out of my own continual pursuit of literary ideas and approaches.

Who are your favorite authors and why do you like them?
Kafka was such a mesmerisingly deceptive stylist. He leads you into nightmarish scenarios with such a lightness of touch. Camus was chock full of ideas about humanity. Jonathan Lethem is a master of literary language. Don Delillo is just the perfect writer. Jeanette Winterson writes wonderful poetic works of love. Neil Bartlett deals in desire like no other writer I have come across.

What most attracts you to the life of a writer?
The ability to think about, explore and deal in language 24-7, without having to worry about numbers as I currently do in my day job. I like jousting with words, trying to nail those slippery characters down on the page.

If you couldn't be a writer but knew you were guaranteed success at a different career, what would you choose?
Musician or abstract painter. Something that still gave life to the mind.

If you had to describe your writing in one word, what would that word be?
Challenging

What's the best writing advice you've ever gotten?
Trust your own instincts.

After writing some dodgy lyrics for teenage bands that never got off the ground, Marc first started writing stage plays at College. With the arrival of his twin boys and parenting, he stopped hanging around theatres and turned his hand to novels. He self-published his debut novel "A,B&E" in October 2009 and contributed adult experimental pieces of fiction to Year Zero Writers, Eight Cuts Gallery, Exclusive Literary Magazine as well as producing regular flash fiction on his own blog. More information about his novel can be found on this website. He has contributed 2 short stories to the "Pop Fiction" Anthology - Stories Inspired by Songs. For all Marc's literary struggles, nothing causes him more sleepless nights than managing his twin boys' junior soccer team. Marc lives and works in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment