Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blooming Author Sue London!

Sue London's book Trials of Artemis was published by Graythorn Publishing on May 12, 2013.

Tell us about your book. What is it about and where will it be available?

Trials of Artemis is the first book in a Regency romance series called ""The Haberdashers."" Our narrative starts in London in 1815. Currently you can buy it on Kindle or in a variety of ebook formats via my website.

The "blurb" for the series and first book is:

In 1805 three little girls decided to create a “boys club” because boys have more fun. Their childhood was filled with sword fighting, horse racing, and archery. Now in 1815 they are all grown up and expected to join Society. Who will marry such independent and deadly misses?

Trials of Artemis
Loving Lord Lucifer...
An independent bluestocking sneaks into a library to read rare Greek texts and ends up with a husband instead.

Jacqueline “Jack” Walters loves archery and Greek military history. In her third season she has failed to inspire so much as one marriage proposal and is planning to settle into the quiet life of a spinster.

Gideon Wolfe, Earl of Harrington, has been avoiding marriage but a case of mistaken identity in the library has left him saddled with an argumentative and unwilling fiancee.

What were your inspirations for your book? What sorts of thing inspire you as a writer in general?

I've been reading romance for about twenty years and since discovering Mary Balogh have been principally interested in historicals. Entertainingly, one of the reasons I preferred Regencies at first is that they were often ""sweet,"" meaning much more like a straight up Jane Austen with nothing explicit or naughty. Well, the genre has gotten naughtier and I hopped right on board. Please be aware that this book is, um, explicit. Recent authors that have particularly inspired me include Diane Farr (her Fortune Hunter is my favorite), Grace Burrowes, Danelle Harmon, Rose Gordon, Elizabeth Rolls, and Lauren Royal. All fabulous.

Everything inspires me as a writer in general. Doing things, not doing anything, thinking, not thinking...

Let's talk about your process. How do you approach a story, do you start with outlines or something else? Where did you work when writing your book? Do you think it was the optimal writing environment for you?

I approach it quietly. They spook easily. Then I lay a trap around it, common referred to as an "outline." And then, if it's still there, I TYPE AS FAST AS I CAN TO COMPLETELY CAPTURE IT BEFORE IT ESCAPES.

The answer to "where" is almost anywhere. In front of the tv at night, at the cabin on vacation, in the bedroom late at night, at the coffee shop on the weekend. My mom gave me a tiny Toshiba netbook that has been my savior because I can take it anywhere and it is easy to use in bed at night.

If I think about the "optimal" writing environment I can come up with all sorts of fabulous ideas, but honestly it doesn't matter where I am or what's going on around me. The whole point of reading and writing is escaping from what's going on in the environment. What's the point of wasting a beautiful interior design on my writing area? 90% of my first book was written while other things were going on. The other 10% I got to sit on the porch staring at the river and enjoying the beautiful nature. The fact that I can remember that means that I WASN'T WRITING ENOUGH. See? Nice environment might equal bad writer productivity."

Tell us about your "story of getting published."

I wrote a blog post about that on one of my blogs. Basically last year I decided that author Sue should query publisher Sue and see if they couldn't get together and make this thing happen. Although they've had their moments of frustration with each other it seems to be working out.

What are the publicity plans you have coming up?

I've done a few things (interviewed on Lindsay Buroker's blog about it) but for the most part I plan to stay quiet until the third book comes out. The most fun thing we've done so far is doing a livetweet with @erinscafe May 19th on the #haberdashers tag. Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment